For the use of mortgage intermediaries & other professionals only


We are no longer accepting new applications for Self Build mortgages. The below information is provided to assist you with any existing applications.

Regulatory requirements

As well as ensuring that appropriate planning permission is in place, clients will also need to ensure that their build complies with building regulations. These are national regulations and contact needs to be made with the local authority Building Control Officer who will require details of the proposed new build.

Construction requirements

When it comes to the actual construction of the property there are several options that are available. The most common types of construction in the UK include:

  • Timber Frame
    Extremely popular with Self Builders due to its energy efficiency and the fact that it is a relatively quick method of construction
  • Brick and Block
    This is the traditional method used to construct houses in the UK and as such it is the easiest type of property to re-sell
  • Steel Frame
    A relatively rare method in the UK

Structural warranties and guarantees

Before lending on newly built homes Banks and Building Societies usually require either confirmation that an acceptable building standards indemnity scheme is in place or confirmation that the supervising consultant/architect can meet specified criteria.

Lenders should be contacted to establish which guarantee/warranty providers they are prepared to accept and the criteria that the supervising consultant/architect must meet.

Insurance requirements during construction

Insurance needs are likely to vary as the project develops. At the outset the main priority may be to cover the land for flood or fire risks etc, but as soon as work begins insurance will be required in the event of anybody getting injured on the site. It will also be important to keep the structure itself insured during all the phases of its construction, and it therefore follows that clients' insurance requirements should be kept under close review.

Each build will be unique and multi-faceted and it is extremely important to make sure that it is properly covered. This is definitely not an area to cut back on.

Some of the most common types of self build insurance are listed below. Clients are strongly advised to seek expert professional advice from an insurance broker.

  • Public Liability Insurance
    This is vital cover as it protects clients against possible claims made by a person or organisation in respect of losses arising in any way from the building operations. This can even extend to somebody trespassing on the land and accidentally injuring themselves. When claims do arise they can be substantial.
  • Employers Liability Insurance
    Whether or not your clients are directly employing people working on site they will usually have a "duty of care" over them while they are there. Full cover is required against the risk of injury.
  • Site Insurance
    Sometimes called Contract Works Insurance - this protects customers against losses that can be caused by vandals, theft, fire, flood, delivery vehicles and other eventualities that can cost time and money.